Singapore Visa For Spouse

Moving to Singapore with your spouse? You’re not alone. Many people are choosing to make the move in order to live a better quality of life. However, before you can relocate as a couple, you will need to secure spouse visa for Singapore. Here’s how you can get it done quickly and easily.

Sure, you can sponsor your spouse’s visa to join you in Singapore. After all, you are married. But dependent visas aren’t the only option. If you want to bring your spouse with you, but don’t necessarily want them working for your company as an employee or freelancer, then a dependent visa isn’t right for them. Hear me out before you give up on this idea. It is still possible to have a long-term stay (1-3 months) in Singapore with a wife or husband through a tourist pass. While that might sound like a lot of time, just think of it as a trial run. If it works out well, then great! If not, at least the 2 of you get to see if life in Singapore is right for your family or not.

Singapore Visa For Spouse

Singapore has strict regulations regarding its immigration policies. These are meant to ensure that foreign workers do not cause a drain on the state’s resources, while creating a conducive environment for substantive employment of citizens and skilled workers. For foreign workers, the greatest disincentive against working in Singapore is the requirement of having to be sponsored by an employer. And, no matter how well-qualified a prospective employee may be, if the employer does not feel he is needed or has any value, there is no point in maintaining a relationship.

Singapore citizen – Non-resident (NR) couples are strongly encouraged to complete their Pre-Marriage LTVP Assessment (PMLA) before marriage.

The PMLA is a free online assessment which allows them to:

  • exchange key information with each other before getting married;
  • find out if the prospective NR spouse may qualify for a Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) after marriage; and
  • enjoy a significantly shorter processing time when they subsequently submit an LTVP application. 

Marriage to a Singapore citizen does not guarantee the NR spouse automatic right of entry into Singapore or approval for long-term stay in Singapore.

While the PMLA aims to give an accurate assessment on the prospective NR spouse’s eligibility for an LTVP after marriage, a positive PMLA outcome is not an immigration pass and does not constitute the approval of an LTVP. The NR spouse should separately apply for an LTVP after marriage to be considered for long-term stay in Singapore.

In a small number of cases, the outcomes of the PMLA and LTVP applications may differ if a couple’s circumstances change between their PMLA and LTVP applications. Couples should ensure that the information submitted in the PMLA are correct, for a more accurate assessment of their eligibility for LTVP.

For more information on PMLA, please refer to the Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment (PMLA) page.

Apply OnlineLong-Term Visit Pass (After Marriage)

The processing time for an LTVP application is up to six months for applicants who did not do the PMLA. The processing time is shortened to six weeks, for applicants who did the PMLA.

NR spouses who are expecting/have Singapore citizen child(ren) from the current marriage, or have been married to a Singapore citizen for at least three years, may be eligible for a Long Term Visit Pass Plus (LTVP+), which has a longer validity period than the LTVP. There is no separate application for the LTVP+. ICA will assess the NR spouse’s eligibility for LTVP+ when he/she applies for an LTVP or to renew his/her LTVP.

LTVP holders may apply to renew their LTVP under their Singapore citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident (PR) spouse’s sponsorship before the LTVP expires. Please note that the sponsor of the LTVP cannot unilaterally request ICA to cancel the LTVP without the LTVP-holder’s consent. ICA will require both the LTVP-holder and the sponsor’s acknowledgment to cancel the LTVP.

The LTVP may be cancelled at ICA’s discretion in accordance with the Immigration Regulations.

LTVP holders who are spouses of Singapore citizens or Singapore PR are eligible for a Pre-Approved Letter of Consent (PLOC)* to seek employment in Singapore. To be considered for a PLOC, the NR spouse should indicate in their LTVP application form whether they intend to work in Singapore. Those who are eligible will be issued a PLOC together with their LTVP. LTVP holders may also separately apply to MOM through their employer for a Letter of Consent (LOC) to work in Singapore at any time after the issuance of the LTVP.

* PLOC holders can work for any employer. The employer is only required to notify MOM at the start of employment. For those who are not granted PLOC, their prospective employer can apply to MOM for an LOC instead of an Employment/S Pass or Work Permit.

Documents Required 

tooltip button

Please have these documents ready before you apply:

From the foreign spouse (applicant)Passport biodata pageDisembarkation/ Embarkation (D/E) number (if applicable).Applicant’s recent passport-sized, digital, colour photograph taken within the last three months. Please click here for photo guidelines.Letter of employment, stating date of commencement, designation and monthly salary (if applicable).
For those who are self employed, a valid registration certificate from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) and the company’s Profit and Loss Statement for the past 12 months (if applicable).Payslips for the past 6 months (if applicable)
From the Singapore citizen spouse (sponsor)Identity CardIncome Tax Notice of Assessment for the past three years, and Central Provident Fund (CPF) Statement showing monthly CPF contributions for the past 12 monthsLetter of employment, stating date of commencement, designation and monthly salary.
For those who are self-employed, a valid registration certificate from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) and the company’s Profit and Loss Statement for the past 12 months.Payslips for the past 6 months
From both spouses
(applicant and sponsor)
Certificate(s) showing highest level of academic qualificationMarriage certificateDivorce certificate(s), if either or both of you have been married beforeLetter of Long-Term Visit Pass Eligibility (LLE), if applicable.

For Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) holders, please renew the LTVP at least 2 months before the expiration of the current LTVP.

First-time applicants need to apply for an LTVP with at least 10 days remaining on their Visit Pass. Visitors to Singapore must have a valid Visit Pass at all times during their stay. They must also have a passport issued only in their name.


The sponsor will need Singpass 2FA to submit the LTVP application online using the e-Service.

The applicant and the sponsor will also need to complete Appendix (VP) giving consent for ICA to obtain and verify your financial information with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) and/or the Central Provident Fund Board of Singapore (CPF). 

The applicant and/or the sponsor will be contacted by ICA for any additional documents or to arrange an interview, if required.


A S$30 non-refundable processing fee for each application. 

Payment can be made using:

  • Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card or,
  • American Express (AMEX) credit card or,
  • Internet Direct Debit (DBS/POSB, OCBC, UOB and Standard Chartered Bank Internet Banking accounts in Singapore) or,
  • PayNow.

Note: Additional fees will apply upon collection. Please refer to LTVP collection for further details.

Processing Time

If you have submitted a Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment (PMLA) before applying for your LTVP, the LTVP application will be processed within six weeks.

If you have not submitted a PMLA before, application for LTVP will be processed within six months.

If your application is still within this processing time, please wait to be notified of your application outcome via email or check on the application outcome using the e-Service, rather than contacting ICA to enquire about the status of your application.

Original documents or photocopies may be required during the processing period. The applicant and/or the sponsor may also be called up for an interview during this time. ICA will contact the applicant and/or the sponsor to request any additional documents or to arrange an interview, if required.

Leave a Comment