Skilled Independent Visa In Australia

If you’re considering a move to Australia, the Skilled Independent Visa is one of the best options. You will be free from any restrictions and eligible to gain citizenship in five years. 

Recently I got through a successful application for the Skilled Independent Visa in Australia. This is a permanent visa where you can live and work in Australia indefinitely. After getting my sister, mother and husband on this visa as well I feel that I have a certain amount of experience to share with you.

If you have a temporary work visa and have worked for at least 2 years in Australia, then you could qualify for the Skilled Independent Visa. This visa allows you to stay in Australia permanently.

Skilled Independent Visa In Australia

When it comes to migration to Australia, there’s a popular misconception that only skilled migrants with sponsors in Australia can apply for visas. The truth is, the skilled independent visa allows potential migrants from all walks of life the opportunity to live and work in the country. Skilled Independent Visa holders have no sponsor as they’re ‘skilled’ individuals; independent means that’s it! But this doesn’t mean that you’re a migrant who’ll be left alone after entering Australia. At IMMI, we help qualified people from across the globe get their dream migration route of settling down permanently in Australia. We aim to achieve this while offering a personalised and affordable service and thus, serve one of the most affordable options of skilled visas.

What is a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?

Work and live in Australia with this permanent resident work visa. Certain foreign-national skilled workers, who hold occupations on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List, may be eligible for a Subclass 189 visa. This visa requires the applicant to complete a skills test and be sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.

An additional path to permanent residence for New Zealand citizens

On July 1 2017, this additional path became a new stream within the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa making it easier for New Zealand citizens who have been living in Australia to become permanent residents.

You must meet the following requirements in order to apply:

  • Hold a Special Category (subclass 444) visa
  • Have been living in Australia continuously for five years and started that period before February 19, 2016 prior to applying
  • Meet the taxable income requirements
  • Meet the health requirements
  • Meet the character requirements

What Are the Benefits of a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?

The Skilled Independent Work Visa offers all the benefits of Australian permanent residence for you and your family.

  • Work and live in Australia indefinitely
  • Opportunity to study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s state-run healthcare program
  • Opportunity to apply for Australian citizenship
  • Sponsor relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel in and out of Australia as you please

How Can I Apply for a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?

Step 1: Check if your occupation is on the Skilled Occupation Lists

This visa is only available to people who can fill a position on this list.

Step 2: Ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements

You must meet the following requirements in order to apply:

Step 3: Complete a Skills Assessment

You must complete a Skills Assessment and obtain an acceptable score in order to be eligible for the Subclass 189 visa. Your score must be meet that specified on your letter of invitation (step 5). Instructions on how to get a proper Skills Assessment can be found on the DHA website.

Step 4: Submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect

Next, you will need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. The SkillSelect program will ask you a number of questions related to your background, skills, and relevant work history. Your EOI will be seen by the Australian authorities as well as available to Australian employers who may be looking for someone of your skill-set to hire.

If you obtain a nomination or sponsor and your EOI meets the requirements of the visa, you be invited to apply for the 189 visa.

Step 5: Find a sponsor or obtain a government nomination

The Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189) requires you to be sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government. Once you find a suitable sponsor, they will send you a letter of invitation to apply for the visa.

If you do not have an eligible relative or employer to sponsor you, you may be able to find an employer through the SkillSelect program. This program matches skilled workers with employers looking for foreign-national workers. A state or territory government may also nominate you through this program.

Step 6: Have your sponsor complete necessary paperwork

Once you find a sponsor, you will need to have them nominate you for the visa. You can often apply for this visa at the same time your sponsor lodges their applications.

Employers can complete the employer nomination application online through the DHA.

Step 7: Apply for the Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189)

After you find an employer and get a nomination, you can apply for the 189 visa online through the DHA.

Step 8: Wait for a decision

It can take several months for the DHA to make a decision on your visa application. In 2016, the processing time for the 189 visa was 3 months.

Step 9: Receive your visa and start working

Once your application is approved, you will receive your visa and can start work in Australia.

Migration Resources

IMMIGRATION DIRECT helps you complete your application quickly and accurately, provides 24/7 email support, telephone support
Monday-Friday: 9 a.m – 6 p.m. and automatically generates all the forms you need for your application.

Leave a Comment