Student Visa For The Us

Provided that you meet the requirements to apply for a student F-1 visa, you will be eligible for getting your student visa for the United States if you are ready to embark on an education in some colleges and universities. Securing a student visa allows an international student to pursue his or her academic goals in American institutions of higher learning.

My wife came to the US on a student visa. Long story short we got married and she changed her status to a Fiance Visa. They did not require an I-864 for the fiance visa, she had a criminal background check, and payed 650 dollars for the visa. This blog was inspired by what some said when I told them how much money she had to pay.

Student visas are handled by the U.S. Immigration services, so contact them directly if you have inquiry regarding your visa status. You only need to apply for a student visa if you plan on studying English in the United States and do not intend to enroll in credit bearing courses.

Student Visa For The Us

Who is eligible and what does it take?With numerous things to consider from cost to program requirements, finding out whether you and your family are eligible for a U.S. student visa and visas can be pretty confusing. Here’s an overview of who is eligible and information on how to get started.

The United States government offers three student visa types including F, J, and M.

  • F Student Visa: for study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at an English language institute
  • J Exchange Visa: for participation in an exchange program, including high school and university study
  • M Student Visa: for non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States

Before you can apply for an F, J, or M student visa, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. institution of higher education that is certified by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP).

Even when an institution is SEVP-certified and able to issue I-20 and DS-2019 forms for use in visa applications, it may not hold national or regional accreditation. The U.S. Department of Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation databases list accreditation status for all U.S. institutions. Institutions designated by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to place participants in Academic Exchange programs (J visas) must be accredited. Recognition of course credits and degrees by other institutions and by U.S. and international employers is linked to an institution’s accreditation. To learn more about accreditation talk to an EducationUSA Adviser in person or online.

Once accepted at an SEVP-certified school, you will receive a Form I-20 or DS-2019 from the institution’s international student office to present when you apply for your student visa. Once you receive your form, visit:

1. U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs (Student Visas)

2. U.S. Department of State – U.S. Embassies and Consulates

3. U.S. Department of Homeland Security – Study in the States

It is important to note that two separate U.S. government agencies are involved with international student arrival and status while studying in the United States. The State Department is responsible for the visa application process and issuing the visa. Once a visa holder arrives in the United States, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security then takes over as the responsible agency for entry into the country, as well as issuing and enforcing international student regulations. Please read information from all three sources above before applying for a U.S. student visa. The sites address employment, maintaining your status, and other vital topics.

Leave a Comment